Thursday, October 28, 2010

This Is Why I Don't Teach Aerobics

The other day, someone noted that I should get out of my comfort zone. They're right, I said to myself. Since I am very comfortable flinging heavy weighs about, but not so comfortable being graceful and rhythmic, I decided to take an aerobics class.

I cracked myself the hell up. It was hilarious to be running a few beats behind everyone else and trying to figure out the moves based on seemingly arbitrary names -- grapevine, jazz walk, etc. In fact, since I actually have studied group exercise a bit, I even know how they put these series of movements together, so it was doubly amusing that I couldn't keep up.

Still, it was super fun to groove on the music and move my body around. When I had no idea what to do, I just bounced around randomly. Luckily I was in the front row, so everyone could see me geeking out. Hopefully my ungracefulness made everyone else feel better about their own skillz.

That's the benefit of age, baby. You begin to care less what people think; you realize that they probably are thinking about themselves anyway, and not you. I wish this lesson was easier to pass on to the people in my life who don't want to dance, because they are afraid people will laugh at them.

No comments: