Thursday, March 11, 2010

Barefoot Hiking

It was warm last Saturday.

So warm, in fact, that someone hiked most of the way up to Council Crest without her shoes. As you can see by the bottoms of those feet, it was muddy. The flowy skirt just added to the hippie vibe of it all.

Up until today, that hike had been the extent of my exercising the last couple of weeks. Oh sure, I'm still biking to school (lost my bus pass) and making sure my pedometer reads at least 10,000 steps a day, but due to a load of school work, grading, childcare issues, and a mild illness, I just haven't been able to exercise to the level I want to.

But today I took my anatomy lab final and had two hours to spare before work. So I had a date with my first exercise love: the heavily loaded barbell.

While I was doing a round of bent-over rows, one of my co-workers wandered by. "How's it going, o buff one?" he asked.

"Did you just call me 'buff'?" I said. Turns out, he had. Now, he was probably just funnin' me, since he is a 20-year-old college football player who takes creatine. We call him "wide Matt" to distinguish him from "tall Matt." Still, having someone call me buff, even if it was a little in jest, gave me a happy glow all day.

1 comment:

coriander said...

No matter how wide I ever get, I do not wish to be referred to as "Wide Corinna". Your hippie looks like she was having fun.