Thursday, September 24, 2009

It Begins

I have been a little down and at loose ends these days, just waiting for school to kick in again. But today I biked over to the college bookstore to buy my textbooks, and, in the end, I picked up something a little extra: a jolt of happiness.

I got a tiny bit choked up when I saw the nutrition textbook and realized that in just a few days I will be taking a course in one of my favorite topics. I've thought about and wrote about things that people eat for so many years now. I devour (ha!) reports on which foods raise your blood sugar the most or lower your cholesterol. I'm just so happy that I will be learning the basic science behind what we eat and how it affects us.

And while I love the physical exercise part of my degree, I always have in the back of my mind that I can go for a masters in nutrition and follow in the footsteps of my hero, Marion Nestle.

2 comments:

MamaShift said...

I learned a butt-load about nutrition at the mothering.com forums. I haven't gone there for years, though. They do have a nutrition forum and there used to be a fantastic thread there about vaccinations and nutrition.
How 'bout I be your project? Give me a plan for total muscle loss in my mastectomy shoulder. And help me with my fight against foods I normally wouldn't eat. I seem to have developed some kind of rebellious attitude now that I know I shouldn't eat certain things.

Miriam said...

Syd, I'm curious about what foods you shouldn't eat. I'm wondering if your battle is against sugar, and if so, basically, you're going to have to give the stuff up entirely for about two weeks, after which your body won't crave it as much. Shall we do it together? I'm having a bit of a love/hate relationship with it right now myself (I love sugar, but I hate myself when I eat it).