Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Kettlebell Training

Finally got together with my old kettlebell trainer this weekend for a one-on-one session.

We did it in Overlook Park on the hottest day of the year so far, but it was a great workout. We started with some jogging to warm up, then did sprints up a giant hill. We did some jumping on and off a low bench, the kind of stuff my knee would not have tolerated just a couple of weeks ago.

Finally we got to the kettlebell workout. Jesse knew that I'd been experimenting with kettlebell juggling, so he watched me so he could adjust my technique so I was doing it safer. He also showed me a new move to add to my repertoire. Pretty soon here I hope to video a couple of minutes straight of different juggling moves to dazzle you with.

We also worked on lateral walking kettlebell swings, which for some reason were a lot harder than regular swings.

Finally, Jesse attempted for the millionth time to help me perfect my kettlebell clean. I keep doing it in a way that sends it crashing down onto my bicep, so I have matching quarter-sized black-and-blue marks on both my upper arms. We did make some progress, and I ended up doing a lot of practicing the clean-and-jerk, which is pretty darn fun.

If you are interested in learning kettlebells, Jesse is planning on doing more outdoor trainings now that summer is here. So email me if you want to do kettlebells together.

No comments: