Friday, April 3, 2009

Ouchy

There probably won't be a bunch of workout-related blogging here for the next couple of weeks: I was riding my bike to school today and I made a full stop at the 4-way stop near my house. "Wow," I remember thinking, "aren't I a nice bicyclist? Bikers don't ever come to a full stop." I let two north-south cars go, then I took my turn. Trouble was, a car didn't think it was my turn and hit me. "Hey, you're hitting me with your car," I remember yelling on the way down. "I can't believe you hit me with your car!"

Then, as I was lying there in the middle of the intersection and hoping that the driver would stop before she rolled over me, I was thinking, "Shit! If I'm injured this is going to mess up my workouts. I went to stand up, and sure enough, I wasn't all that into putting weight on my right knee.

But I'm in great spirits because, damn!, I could have really really been hurt. A freaking car hit me! I went to the hospital and they x-rayed my knee. It isn't broken--I probably damaged or tore the ligament, but I've dealt with that injury before--on the other knee. Plus the delightful road rash in the photo.

I think I'm going to take this opportunity to just spend the next few days lounging around on the couch, getting caught up on my reading for class, and thinking of the day that me and my kettlebell can be reunited.

5 comments:

Amber said...

Ugh, I am so glad you are okay. After I got off the phone and the initial shock wore off, I was also struck by what could have been. I hate 4-way stops because so many folks are too dumb to keep track of whose turn it is. Please let me know if you need any help with errands or kid-shuttling while you're healing up!

coriander said...

Ouchy is right. Take it easy, and call me if you need anything.

herself said...

Egads! Best wishes from our household. We can't figure out how someone could come out of a four way and not be able to stop before hitting you! In my imagination it happened on the Salmon hill, where I always saw myself getting creamed by another cyclist running the stop from the opposite direction...

Best cure for road rash in my experience is lots of sleep. Hope you can get back to the 'bells soon!

Sarah said...

Glad you are (mostly) okay! I hope you gave her a real piece of your mind (as well as your leg).

MamaShift said...

I've been thinking of you. I kept forgetting to leave a comment. Spring has me a tad busy.

I'm glad to know it's feeling better today.