Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Beat the Band

I think I have my first sports injury (no, falling out of a tree and breaking my ankle when I was 11 doesn't count, although the fact that the accident made one of my legs shorter than the other seems to be a factor in my situation now).

I think that the pains that arise when I run are caused by something called Iliotibial band friction syndrome, an inflammation that occurs along a band of muscle that goes from your hip to your knee. Most runners complain about pain on the outside of the thigh and knee, but mine is in the hip. The thing is, the pain isn't bad enough for me to want to stop doing anything, so I'm worried that I won't and it will just keep getting worse.

Although last night, instead of just running on the treadmill, I decided that I would do the "fat burning" workout, which keeps your heart rate elevated, but at a lower level than a cardio workout. You walk, and the treadmill adjusts the incline to keep your heart rate in the right zone. It was relaxing compared to humping it on the elliptical, although to keep my heart rate elevated to 120, I had to walk at a 4.4 mile pace and the machine was pretty much at a 12 percent incline for the whole 60 minutes. It was like doing a 4.5 mile hike up Mt. Tam. Honestly, it probably wasn't any better for my IT Band than jogging, but I did make sure to use the foam roller before and after (Hi Susie!). Other things that might be contributing to my IT Band problems: My habit of sitting in my desk chair in the "criss-cross applesauce" position, overpracticing my kettlebell juggling (say it ain't so!).

I have to say, it's kind of big for me to have a sports injury. I never before was active enough to even think that I would ever get one. Instead, I had the body problems of a sedentary reader: Poor vision, lower back pain. I like this much better.

*****

Here's another poll: For my Health Promotion and Disease Prevention class, I have to choose one behavior and work to change it. I would reduce the amount of salt I use, but there's a "sodium challenge" later in the quarter. Should I try to quit coffee (but I love it so, and it's not inherently unhealthy). Should I quit sugar? Quit saying the word "dude" (although I think you're supposed to do something health-related). Quit drinking (that would seem counterproductive). Vow to record my calories each day on a CalorieCount.com? I need vice advice!

5 comments:

Amber said...

Salt, sugar, alcohol or caffeine? Any other choices?

Miriam said...

Well, I have to get the final parameters of the project. I'm hoping i can do something about my Internet addiction. If i could stay off the computer, it would enhance Sage's life. It's not like I'm using it to earn a living these days.

Jonanna said...

What about gluten? I don't even know what that is, but people seem to think it's bad. Or processed foods, or maybe eating out?

Donna said...

Clearly you should take up getting massages as a good habit, which will in turn ameliorate and prevent sports injuries. When I started training in poekoelan I had the same experience of "Wait a minute, I have a SPORTS injury, of all things!" You happen to know a good lmt downtown... just sayin'...

Oh, and gluten is only bad if you are allergic or celiac. It's a protein that gives structure to bread and is the basis of all the mock meats you see at funky Chinese food joints. So don't quit that if you don't have to. Mmmm, mock meat...

Miriam said...

the prof noted that at the top of the list of health-enhancers was getting 8 hours of sleep and suggested that could be a behavior change. But what fun is that?!?!?!