Thursday, March 5, 2009

Two-Wheel Workout

The crocuses are in bloom here in Portland, and although it hasn't really stopped raining yet, this week has been nice and warm--in the 50s. I decided to stop waiting for my 9-year-old daughter to change the tire on my bike and did it myself so I could ride to school (I'm kind of chagrinned that I waited this long to add "changing a bike tire" to my portfolio of skills). Today I had a lunch engagement on Alberta after class, and so my ride ended up to be the longest I'd taken since last fall.

I know this because my love of quantifying my workouts (oh, you didn't notice?) led me to sign up with the dandy service MapMyRide. It uses Google Maps to help you figure out how far you've ridden (or run). It has nifty features like a calorie counter and hooks automatically to Facebook. Anyway, MapMyRide says I went 14 miles today--I had pegged it at around 10, so I was glad I checked the mileage.



One thing I forgot about bike riding is that before my body is used to longish rides, it makes me SO HUNGRY. I'd eaten a perfectly adequate breakfast of oatmeal with collard greens (they were out of the economy-sized bags of spinach at the grocery store), but halfway through class, I was starving again. I had a cheeseburger (hold the bun) and a cup of chicken chili for lunch and by the time I got home, I needed to eat again. In fact, I'm hungry right now.

If I remember correctly, this caveman hunger goes away after a few weeks of longer rides. At any rate, I had also forgotten just how joyful bike riding makes me. For some reason, I can't be on my bike for longer than five minutes and remain gloomy. Something about the physical activity and the forward motion and the notion that I'm really going places now! puts a big dopey smile on my face every time.

2 comments:

MamaShift said...

Oh my gawd! Shat up about the crocuses, the 50° weather...and the cheeseburgers!

This weekend:
Friday 6
Light Snow
Light Snow
High
31°F
Low
28°F

Saturday 7
Light Snow
Light Snow
High
31°F
Low
29°F

Sunday 8
Foggy
Foggy
High
33°F
Low
29°F

Miriam said...

Well, it's all a matter of perspective, MamaShift: I've been envying my Rocky Mountain friends because they've been having 70 degree weather!