Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Involving the Calf

Despite working out for indulgently lengthy stretches of time, it seems it is still hard to fit in weight training for any body parts below my waist. As regards my butt, well, as Raul Julia says in one my favorite 1970s films, The Gumball Rally, "What's behind me is not important." But I should be paying some attention to my neglected quads.

Instead, I decided to add some calf exercises today. I had been avoiding them because calves that are too muscular kind of squick me out. But people seem to be having fun on the calf sled, so I decided to try it. I could barely get though 3 sets of 10 reps with pretty minimal weight (30 pounds, I think). I'm kind of excited to see if my calves hurt tomorrow, since aside from some running-related hip twinges, I haven't really felt the kind of ache that means I'm building muscle for awhile now.

I also swapped out some of my triceps work for a few sets of cable pushdowns with a split-rope handle. DANG, even with only like 25 pounds, that kicked my triceps' ass.

It doesn't pay to get too comfortable with your routine. New exercises will hopefully give the shock of the new to my weightlifing.

3 comments:

MamaShift said...

Yes, I'm still here. This Brittany trip is killing me.

So. Squick? That's new. I like it.

Interestingly, I haven't done a single rep with any part of my upper body. All I want is thighs that don't look squicky...I mean squishy.

Miriam said...

What?!?! No upper body work?!? We need to switch workouts for a week just to balance things out!

And, guess what. One of my calves *does* hurt today. But not both. Go figure.

MamaShift said...

My rotator cuff has been giving me a lot of problems since I came home and started to sleep on the world's worst mattress. We bought a foam thingy to put on top, and it got better, but now I'm having arthritic sutff happening in my right hand. So I was thinking this morning that you'll take me to your gym and someone can show me what to do about it.