Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Float Like a Manatee, Sting Like a ....

A friend is embarking on a fitness plan that includes boxing, so I went with her for her first (free) class last night.

It wasn't cardio boxing or kickboxing or any of that kind of stuff, but rather old-school, bare-bones-gym, get-your-hands-wrapped boxing.

We started with a 45-minute beginner's class where we learned the basic stance and the jab-cross-hook-uppercut sequence. Then we joined in the actual class. We started out with a good warm-up and conditioning session that included traditional boxing exercises like jumping rope and tossing around a 12-pound medicine ball.

I had hoped that I would be able to hit someone really, really hard. But I knew that was an unrealistic goal for my first session. Nevertheless, I did get to hit the heavy bag, and although we weren't supposed to hit it hard, I cheated a bit and walloped it a few times. We also paired up in groups and one person wore mitts while the other person punched. That was pretty satisfying, and after drilling that for a half an hour, my shoulders were definitely feeling it.

Sadly, I don't think I'm going to be a regular at boxing class though. It wouldn't be prudent financially or temporally to add another fitness class to my life right now, and my lack of coordination would definitely become a factor as I progressed. Still, it was a fun workout, and a great way to channel some aggression.

2 comments:

Briar said...

Yes! There's something awesome about wrapped hands.

Also, I would say that fitness plan is a very generous way of describing what I'm embarking on. ;)

Olga Sanchez said...

I'm sure I'm supposed to comment on boxing or fitness, but honestly, "float like a manatee" just made me laugh! Thanks!