Thursday, February 12, 2009

Who Can Find the Time?

A couple of decades ago, the powers that be decreed that to stay fit, you needed only to do a moderate exercise for 20 minutes, 3 times a week. Do-able!, I thought, then went along on my merry way, not actually doing it.

Then, a few years back, the figures were revised upward to 30 minutes of exercise five times a week. Okay, I said to myself, I can find a half hour every day. But I didn't.

Now, a set of new and more sinister recommendations have come out. It appears that for "significant" weight-loss and to prevent regaining weight after weight-loss, you need on the order of 300 minutes a week of moderate-intensity activity. This is in addition to strength training, which the American College of Sports Medicine also recommends.

Luckily I am an exercise freak right now, so 300 minutes of exercise a week is well within my time-for-exercise budget. But I also don't have a job. And I have only one kid, who is in school for six hours a day. I don't see how other people who do have jobs or young children in the picture could possibly carve out an hour every day to exercise.

Since dieting alone doesn't seem to cut it for long-term weight-loss, I think we've found yet another piece of the "obesity crisis" puzzle.

4 comments:

Amber said...

"I don't see how other people who do have jobs or young children in the picture could possibly carve out an hour every day to exercise." I'm going to remember you said this the next time I'm feeling bad about not going to the gym! That's a lot of time per week. Sheesh.

Miriam said...

Amber, interestingly I was actually thinking about you having Josie at home plus two school-age kids and a job as the auction head when I wrote that. Unless you're planning on going to 24 Hour Fitness in the middle of the night, I'm not sure when a person as community-involved as you would exercise for five hours a week.

Sarah said...

I know this isn't doable for everyone, but I started walking to work and back. It's about 2 miles each way. It takes longer than driving, but it makes sure I get my exercise and a little me time in.

MamaShift said...

I prefer to be good with the time I find. :-)