Friday, February 6, 2009

Out of Thin Air

Back from the Rocky Mountains, and it's easy to see why athletes train in Boulder, Colorado. After only two formal high-altitude workouts plus some other vigorous activity (including a sunrise walk around Waneka Lake, shown in the photo), I definitely noticed a boost in my endurance for sea-level cardio exercise. I don't know if it's the kind of thing that stays with you for an extended period of time, but right now I feel like my circulatory system is just luxuriating in all this abundant Portland oxygen. If I do that (half) marathon in New York this summer, a trip to Cheyenne the week prior would probably be in order.

In other news from the trip, my crabbed-up competitive heart was broken to realize that benching 70 pounds is really nothing. A female friend of a friend and the leader-board at my brother's gym both indicate that 135 pounds is what a strong woman should be able to bench press. What a spur. Yesterday, I decided to flip my workout, doing weights first and cardio afterward (LIKE EVERY BOOK SAYS YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO, DUH!) so I wouldn't start my weightlifting pre-exhausted, and I was able to do a couple of reps with 85 pounds, and one rep with 90 pounds. It's a start.

No comments: