Monday, February 9, 2009

More Fallout from Soc. 399

I've already discussed how the class I'm taking on Food Inequality and Obesity is re-politicizing me around food, making it difficult to ignore the environmental consequences of eating meat.

Now we're deep into the obesity unit of the course and the text we're using, Eric Oliver's Fat Politics, is giving me the heebie jeebies. Oliver's position (backed up by a classroom viewing of the equally chilling Frontline episode on fat) is the "set point" theory: Your body has a weight that its genetically programmed to weigh. Even if you lose a load of weight, your body will eventually compel you to eat it all back on. Only a very small percentage of those who lose weight will keep it off for five years or more. You can't fight it, he says, it's your biology combined with our toxic food environment.

Okay, Eric Oliver, now you're freaking me out. Reading through the whole book, as I have to do since my midterm is in two days, is an exercise in anxiety. And when I get anxious, guess what I do? So in a way, this whole gaining all the weight back thing could become a self-fulfilling prophecy unless I get a grip on either my anxiety or my eating habits, preferably both. In the meantime, if you see me coming, for god's sake, lock up the peanut butter.

2 comments:

Miriam said...

I'm not about to let a little salmonella scare get in the way of eating my way through a jar of peanut butter.

Salty said...

Good, since jar peanut butter was never involved in the outbreak. I can't buy that guy's thesis; how does he explain the link between weight and class? The rich are genetically thinner? Weird, 80 years ago the poor were thin and the rich were heavy.