Sunday, February 1, 2009

Hi, Altitude

Visiting important people in the Rocky Mountain region this week, but I am trying not to let it interfere with my busy schedule of trying to turn myself into a she-hulk.

My brother hipped me to his gym, the fitness arm the Cheyenne Regional Medical Center. The place was just fine--it even has a whirlpool and sauna in the women's locker room. $15 gets you a weeklong pass, so the price couldn't be better.

One thing I forgot though was that Cheyenne is 6063 feet above the sea-level altitude of Portland Oregon. About 6 minutes into my run on the treadmill, I remembered. I started to gasp like a fish and I thought for a moment I was going to pee my pants.

Still, I managed to run three-and-a-half miles in 40 minutes (okay, not all that great, but don't forget, I actually hate running. And I'm at 6000 feet).

And, hey, the Cheyenne Regional Medical Center was even equipped with a cute little 20-pound kettlebell. So I could practice my new favorite move: the unfortunately named kettlebell snatch, the "Tsar of kettlebell exercises."

No comments: