Thursday, February 19, 2009

Dessert First

I blame Miles. I was having dinner with my friend Briar and her father Miles when, as it usually does, the topic of fitness and its purported benefits came up:

Me: "I haven't been sick since I started working out two years ago."

Miles: "Oh, you'll get sick. Don't think that you won't."

Me: "Hmm."

This conversation took place on Saturday, and now I am sick! After approximately 15 hours of sleep, I feel a bit better, thanks for asking. And while I am still going to hit the gym today, I am first going to comfort myself with a serving of my new favorite dessert. It's a sort of mock chocolate mousse that is high in protein and a wee bit tangy. I've been trying to get the sugar monkey off my back, and while one of the ingredients has the potential carcinogen acesulfame potassium, this is a pretty guilt-free indulgence.

Take a half a cup of nonfat yogurt (I like Trader Joe's European style or Nancy's Nonfat) and stir in half a scoop of GNC vanilla whey powder (I don't recommend Trader Joe's Aria brand or their generic whey powder, both are unpleasant), and a teaspoon of cocoa powder. Let sit for a moment until the instantized whey powder melts. Enjoy.

5 comments:

Amber said...

I am a huge fan of chocolate mousse, but I don't honestly know about this one, Miriam. Definitely worth a try though since I so rarely ever eat the real stuff--it'd be nice to have a guilt-free version around. Hope you're feeling better! If you're not so lucky, let me know if you need any help with S tomorrow.

Miriam said...

Amber, the key to enjoying this is buying into the whole whey protein thing. It tastes more like those chocolate yogurts you can get at Trader Joe's (I should just change this blog to a Trader Joe's fan blog) than actual chocolate mousse. I think I made the chocolate mousse comparison yesterday because I was delirious with fever, but I'm better now.

Miles said...

Ouch! It's like I cursed you with impending nonspecific viral crud! Maybe it was even worse: Did I cough or sneeze in your general direction? Of course I never meant to disparage working out. I have no doubt whatsoever that it significantly helps your overall wellbeing, including your immune system... So here's my effort to make up for what I did: I suggest that in light of the healthy life style changes you've embraced, especially working out, I propose that maybe this will be your LAST time being sick. Yeah, that's the ticket!

Miriam said...

Miles! I was blaming you for comic effect, and here you are, showing up to comment. I don't really think you caused my sickness--I think it's that almost EVERYBODY in the whole city has been stricken by something this winter. It was just my turn is all.

MamaShift said...

AP is banned in Europe! You naughty girl!

I'm trying, too, with the sugar.

Glad you're feeling better. And, please, don't stress those gym-free days, okay? OK.