Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A Kettlebell of My Own

Bought myself a present, as you can see, and I couldn't be happier. When I'm not playing with it, I gaze longingly at it from across the room and sigh. If I could snuggle down and sleep with it like it was a prized teddy bear, I would.

I took it to class today, and man, let me tell you, working a 26-pound kettlebell made a BIG difference compared to the 35-pounder I had been previously using at the studio. I still feel like I got a righteous workout, but my form and endurance were both much improved. And I could not do much with the larger kettlebell one-handed or over my head. Today I was doing one-handed swings with ease--and it didn't feel like my shoulder was getting ripped out of its socket.

To celebrate my new kettlebell, I asked the instructor to teach us a classic kettlebell move, the Turkish Get Up. In this move, you lie on your back, holding the kettlebell straight up with your elbow locked. Then, without lowering the kettlebell, you use your free arm and your legs to work your way up to a standing position. Done right, it works nearly every muscle in your body. Once you're standing, you do everything in reverse and end up back on the floor again. It was pretty challenging with a 26-pound kbell, so there was no way I could have done it with the 35-pound one.

All in all, a good purchase. My only problem is going to be keeping my hands off my shiny new kettlebell. Too much of a good thing can really tweak out your back.

No comments: