Friday, January 23, 2009

Before Picture

As scores of academics and feminists have pointed out before me, body image is a tricky thing. When I weighed 170, I never really knew what I looked like, sizewise (actually, I have trouble with that these days as well). Mirrors lie, your relative happiness or unhappiness with your situation can make you more or less attentive to your appearance.

Luckily, photographs can help put things into perspective. Although it isn't pleasant for me to post this, I think it's important for me to remember where I came from when I start to get angry with myself for gaining a pound or missing a workout.

This photo was taken in the summer of 2001, about 6 years before I got serious about being fit.

3 comments:

Briar said...

Still a cute, just not as fit of a cutie.

Sarah said...

I think that photographs can lie too depending on the angle, lighting, etc. This isn't at all how I remember you looking. But I guess it's irrelevant - what matters is that you're happy now!

MamaShift said...

Gawd! When I first scrolled down and saw this, I thought: Whoa! She's really bulking up! Har, har! I kept looking at your neck and thinking you looked like a weightlifter or a wrestler or a pro football player!