Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Coffee and Cardio


Yeah, I drink coffee. I don't want to live in a world without the love that coffee gives me each morning. I take mine with plenty of half and half, too, because there's no sense in depriving yourself of all pleasure.

This morning, I was running late, so I just drank a protein smoothie before heading out for my workout. When I got to the gym, I hopped on the elliptical, and started my workout. It wasn't long before I realized I just didn't have the endurance I usually do. I struggled nearly the whole 40 minutes--usually I have a fairly easy time of it.

On the weight room floor, I found that I could do fewer reps with the weight levels I usually work with. A few days ago, I had a similar experience. That day, too, I had rushed out and not had my morning cuppa joe.

Maybe the effect is psychosomatic, but several studies over the past few years have shown that caffeine delays fatigue, can reduce muscle pain, and even helps muscles recover after a workout.

I'm not much for caffeine in other forms, but from now on, I'll try to make sure that I leave enough time in the morning to brew up a cup of workout power.

No comments: